Foot & Mouth

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Mar 21 00:30:02 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 10:51:34PM -0000, Jill Strobridge wrote:
> It's just as well Glastonbury has already been cancelled this year.
> My guess is that it would have been very unlikely to go ahead if
> that had originally been the intention.   In fact I hope Michael
> Eavis's cows are ok!

I was just checking the web site.  Glastonbury proper is *just*
outside one of the "infected areas" ... for now ... so I suspect
you're right.

Stonehenge is closed, and it's rather farther from any infected
areas.

> A show in London will be no risk at all but Devon has major problems
> just now.    I don't know if Dave (Hawkwind) will be affected by
> this?    Anyone?

Honiton's not listed at the moment, but it's less than 10 miles
from an infected area.  And of course I have no idea where their
place is in relation to the village.

Dave, Kris: I don't know whether you folks keep livestock.  If
you do, my fingers are crossed!

FYI, here's the British Agriculture Ministry's Foot & Mouth "hub"
page:
        http://www.maff.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/fmd/default.htm

Their information on "infected areas" (ie. areas so declared by
the Ministry -- they don't use the word "quarantine", but that's
pretty much the gist of it):
        http://www.maff.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/fmd/areas.htm

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /