OFF: good places to live?

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Mar 22 14:02:59 EST 2001

At 16.11 +0000 22.3.2001, M Holmes wrote:
>People here have usually had no problem getting a work permit if
>supported by an employer.

Well, I was supported by my employer, of course -- it's just that
they didn't have any experience with the enormous quantity of red
tape that the Home Office generates.  So it took 6 months to get a
work permit -- and 6 months is a *very* long time to not know whether
one is going to have the job you were offered or whether you are
about to move to a different continent! ;)

Still, it could be worse. The Home Office spent _9_ months deciding
whether to stamp and sign my request (which I hand delivered to them)
to spend more time as an overseas student haemoraging money into the
UK economy ;)

Mind you, I have absolute confidence in the US Dept of Immigration to
equal these feats!  I wonder if other EU countries are as bad?
(Probably ...)

Cheers,
Carl
--