OFF: Re: Foot & Mouth

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Mar 22 14:29:06 EST 2001

At 12.54 +0000 22.3.2001, M Holmes wrote:
>A country with
>endemic disease loses export markets which adds losses on top of the 20%
>assuming that the local populace doesn't absorb all output.

Though why the UK exports produce when it doesn't produce enough to
feed itself is equally mysterious to me -- thank heavens I'm no
economist! :)  Since farming is such a tiny part of the UK's economy,
the real damage seems to be to the tourist industry, which just adds
an extra layer of surrealality to the whole thing.  And, of course,
farmers don't usually vote Labour, so perhaps that explains the
gov't's haphazard approach to the whole thing ;)

Luckily, no one confiscates your computer and burns it if it
contracts a virus, even if it temporarily slows down your
productivity :)

Cheers,
Carl

ObHawkwind: "Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear in Smoke)".

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
mailto:cea at carlaz.com
http://www.carlaz.com/