OFF: Can and Neu - which albums?

David Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Fri Mar 23 09:54:33 EST 2001

Mike asked:

>I've been meaning for a while to give these bands a spin. My electronic
>music tastes run to mid-period Tangerine Dream (Rybycon until
>Hyperborea), Tim Blake, the more melodic stuff of Klaus Schulze, Ian
>Boddy, Software... What would you folks reccommend?

Well, I can't comment on Neu myself, but am also intrigued. I understand
their albums are being re-issued v. soon on CD so I'd appreciate
recommendations too.

As for Can, I guess my personal faves are "Tago Mago", "Future Days" & "Soon
Over Babaluma", but others have their moments, even if they're not quite as
consistent (e.g. "Soundtracks" (for the awesome "Mother Sky"), "Ege
Bamyasi", "Monster Movie" and even "Saw Delight"). Beware, though. There are
a few that should be avoided. These include the dire "Out Of Reach" and also
"Can" (aka "Inner Space"). Their re-formation album "Rite Time" was also a
huge disappointment IMHO. To be honest, a good bet would probably be to
start with "Cannibalism 1", a comp. which I don't have but seem to recall
contains many of the truly great Can moments. And then there's always Holger
Czukay's solo stuff................

Whilst we're on the subject, anyone here heard the Can BBC sessions or remix
CDs (the latter's called "Sacrilege" I think)? If so, opinions welcome from
me too.

Dave