OFF: Can and Neu - which albums?

John McIntyre mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 23 12:45:54 EST 2001

Nick Medford wrote:

> In message <200103231540.PAA02975 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk>, M Holmes
> <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> writes
> >Thanks. So how are you folks fixed for similar advice on Popol Vuh?
>
> Later Vuh is often really just Fricke solo, and while I haven't heard much of
> it, reviewers tend to compare it unfavourably with the early 70s albums or
> even dismiss it as New Age fluff.

"Fluff" is an apt description of "City Raga" and another album on Milan that I'm
blanking on the title thereof.  However, despite the dodgy title I do like "Sing,

For Song Drives The Wolf Away."

As for Can, when I wanted to buy my first Can album based on reviews rather
than hearing the music, the friendly record store clerk tried desperately to stop

me from buying "Monster Movie" as he feared it might turn me off Can forever.
His suggestions were "Soon Over Babaluma" or "Landed".  However, I insisted
on "Monster Movie" due to the title and the cover.  It's still my favorite Can
album. (-8  However, since the vocalist is only on that album and "1968 Slight
Delay" (from the same session as "Monster Movie") and possibly that cassette
of the first Can session (can't remember if Malcolm is on that or not), "Monster
Movie" is probably not the best starting place.

As for Neu, definitely the first album, although you may want to wait until the
legitimate release comes out.  Definitely stay away from anything past "Neu 75"
as those are just poorly recorded rehearsal tapes.

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University
mcintyre at pa.msu.edu