OFF: Can and Neu - which albums?

Fri Mar 23 18:43:21 EST 2001

Popol Vuh;
A collection in five albums:
Affenstunde
Aguirre Wrath Of God (ONLY THE ORIGINAL - none of yer dodgy compilation
jobs)
Einsjager Und Siebenjager
Brude Des Schattens, Sohne Des Lichts
Nosferatu
Andy Garibaldi
----- Original Message -----
From: "M Holmes" <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: OFF: Can and Neu - which albums?

> Chris Warburton writes:
>
> Thanks. So how are you folks fixed for similar advice on Popol Vuh?
>
> FoFP
>
> > >As for Can, I guess my personal faves are "Tago Mago",
> >
> > For a fan, THE album to have I'd say.
> >
> > >"Future Days" & "Soon Over Babaluma",
> >
> > These two, particularly "Future Days" are the easy way in to Can,
> > much the most approachable material.
> >
> > >but others have their moments, even if they're not quite as
> > >consistent (e.g. "Soundtracks" (for the awesome "Mother Sky"),
> >
> > No arguments there
> >
> > >"Ege Bamyasi", "Monster Movie" and even "Saw Delight").
> >
> > "Saw Delight" is a bit iffy IMHO, but the other two are stone classics
that sit on the right & left hand of the mighty "Tago Mago". IIRC, "Landed"
is pretty good too.

> > >Beware, though. There are a few that should be avoided. These
> > >include the dire "Out Of Reach"
> >
> > Dire may be too kind a word...
> >
> > >and also "Can" (aka "Inner Space").
> >
> > Slightly better, but not much
> >
> > >Their re-formation album "Rite Time" was also a huge
> > >disappointment IMHO.
> >
> > I wasn't impressed enough to buy it!
> >
> > >To be honest, a good bet would probably be to start with
> > >"Cannibalism 1", a comp. which I don't have but seem to recall
> > >contains many of the truly great Can moments.
> >
> > Yes, an excellent compilation that covers the prime UA period of the
band very well indeed.

> > >And then there's always Holger Czukay's solo stuff.....
> >
> > A slightly different kettle of fish to Can proper, but I love it...
especially "Movies".  The first album of soundtrack music by Irmin Schmidt
is pretty impressive - a bit more like Can proper.

> > >Whilst we're on the subject, anyone here heard the Can BBC
> > >sessions or remix CDs (the latter's called "Sacrilege" I
> > >think)? If so, opinions welcome from me too.
> >
> > Dunno about the BBC stuff, though if it contains the "OGWT" performance
it'll be worth having - tragic that that got faded out on the broadcast!
"Sacrilege": some would say that it is; I found it interesting, but maybe a
little pointless, since most of th> e stuff was done direct to two track,
limiting the options rather!