OFF: Can and Neu - which albums?

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Mar 23 18:41:52 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:12:42 GMT, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
>I've been meaning for a while to give these bands a spin. My electronic
>music tastes run to mid-period Tangerine Dream (Rybycon until
>Hyperborea), Tim Blake, the more melodic stuff of Klaus Schulze, Ian
>Boddy, Software...

For this type of music, I would check out Harmonia's first album, 'Music
von Harmonia', which is a collaboration between folks from Neu and
Cluster.  More electronic than Neu, more rhythmically propulsive than
Cluster.  Another excellent Neu spinoff was La Dusseldorf; I'd recommend
their first (self-titled) album.

>What would you folks reccommend?

Keith Henderson and John McIntyre did a great job of covering Can & Neu
recommendations.  To reiterate, I'd say start with the first and/or third
('Neu! 75') Neu albums, since the second isn't really a complete album.
For Can, I'd most strongly recommend 'Tago Mago' or 'Soundtracks' to start,
but everything they did for UA (up until about '76, I think) is fantastic.

BTW in the latest issue of 'Aural Innovations', I reviewed the recent LP
reissue of the cassette of Can's very first rehearsal.  And John, since you
were asking, the vocalist is not Malcolm Mooney, but someone who preceded
him.

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com