OFF: Re: Foot & Mouth

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Fri Mar 23 21:10:44 EST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 01:12:44PM +0000, M Holmes wrote:
> That's if the tourists actually stop coming.

Which in turn depends on where HW's playing, doesn't it?  (Too
bad I'll be missing Croydon, but I can't justify a trip to
England *every* time...)

> Why farmers are treated like royalty pretty much everywhere but Zimbabwe

Well, I presume some farmers are treated like royalty even there
-- if they happen to satisfy the prejudices of the day.

> is another mystery, but it's possibly related to national defence and
> worries about blockades.

Don't know about other places, but in Canada they're
overrepresented in both the federal and provincial parliaments --
rural ridings have significantly fewer people than urban ones, so
a rural vote counts for more than an urban one.  One of many
stupid things that it seems impossible to change, alas.

(For the non-Commonwealth'ers, "riding" is our term for an
electoral district.)

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
necessarily a good idea.