OFF: Can and Neu - which albums? (Popol Vuh)

david hall dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Mar 24 14:27:43 EST 2001

Blimey,
Where do you start - PV-rerelease hell. Andy G should put something together
on this lot.

Personal faves - Aguirre CD and Nosferatu (both soundtracks). Aguirre,
brilliant film, brilliant....Klaus Kinski, barking mad.

Dave
-----Original Message-----
From: M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Date: 23 March 2001 15:40
Subject: Re: OFF: Can and Neu - which albums?

>Chris Warburton writes:
>
>Thanks. So how are you folks fixed for similar advice on Popol Vuh?
>
>FoFP
>
>> >As for Can, I guess my personal faves are "Tago Mago",
>>
>> For a fan, THE album to have I'd say.
>>
>> >"Future Days" & "Soon Over Babaluma",
>>
>> These two, particularly "Future Days" are the easy way in to Can,
>> much the most approachable material.
>>
>> >but others have their moments, even if they're not quite as
>> >consistent (e.g. "Soundtracks" (for the awesome "Mother Sky"),
>>
>> No arguments there
>>
>> >"Ege Bamyasi", "Monster Movie" and even "Saw Delight").
>>
>> "Saw Delight" is a bit iffy IMHO, but the other two are stone classics
that sit on the right & left hand of the mighty "Tago Mago". IIRC, "Landed"
is pretty good too.

>> >Beware, though. There are a few that should be avoided. These
>> >include the dire "Out Of Reach"
>>
>> Dire may be too kind a word...
>>
>> >and also "Can" (aka "Inner Space").
>>
>> Slightly better, but not much
>>
>> >Their re-formation album "Rite Time" was also a huge
>> >disappointment IMHO.
>>
>> I wasn't impressed enough to buy it!
>>
>> >To be honest, a good bet would probably be to start with
>> >"Cannibalism 1", a comp. which I don't have but seem to recall
>> >contains many of the truly great Can moments.
>>
>> Yes, an excellent compilation that covers the prime UA period of the band
very well indeed.

>> >And then there's always Holger Czukay's solo stuff.....
>>
>> A slightly different kettle of fish to Can proper, but I love it...
especially "Movies".  The first album of soundtrack music by Irmin Schmidt
is pretty impressive - a bit more like Can proper.

>> >Whilst we're on the subject, anyone here heard the Can BBC
>> >sessions or remix CDs (the latter's called "Sacrilege" I
>> >think)? If so, opinions welcome from me too.
>>
>> Dunno about the BBC stuff, though if it contains the "OGWT" performance
it'll be worth having - tragic that that got faded out on the broadcast!
"Sacrilege": some would say that it is; I found it interesting, but maybe a
little pointless, since most of th> e stuff was done direct to two track,
limiting the options rather!