HW: Weird #6

Kevin Sommers novadrive at HOME.COM
Sat Mar 24 16:45:34 EST 2001

I've thought of (and actually started) a variation of this idea: A CD-R set
of a version of 'Brainstorm' from every year since '72 (I think '98 is the
only year that will have to be skipped), and they are all VERY different.

KevinSommers

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU]On
Behalf Of Paul Mather
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 8:40 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: Re: HW: Weird #6

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

=> all this works well with a band like Hawkwind, but the subtleties and
=> nuances of having forty versions of Pink Floyd's 'Echoes' on live tapes,
is
=> vastly outweighed by the yawn factor. See also: 'Supper's Ready', 'Close
=> The Edge', etc.....

I disagree.  Someone recently compiled a collection of as many covers
they could find of the tune "Afro Blue" done to this date by Gov't Mule.
("Afro Blue" was popularised by John Coltrane.)  It's something like 7
or 8 CDs.  It's great to hear the different takes on the song, varying
between acoustic and electric; various guests; various lengths:
different interpretations.  It's a really popular set doing the rounds
right now.

I agree it would be fairly uninteresting if a band pretty much played
the same song the same arrangement every time.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa