Croydon Show

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Mar 26 11:40:15 EST 2001

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0103261558470.7288-100000 at chiark.greenend.o
rg.uk>, Kirsten Procter <kprocter at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> writes
>On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Richard Crossley wrote:
>
>> Highlight of the gig was being asked half way through Flying Doctor, "Why
>> are they singing about Canada Geese ?"
>
> Silly - the line in question is *blatantly* 'covered in bees' <g>
>
> I was slightly amused to discover that Jon (Jarrett) hadn't realised
>that the new song owed so much to 'The Owl and the Pussycat' -
>excellent stuff!

I'm impressed that anyone could hear what Ron was on about. Couldn't
make out a single word. Music sounded good though. Not sure whether to
blame him or the sound - he was perfectly clear on the other spoken word
stuff.

Fantastic gig but Mr Tree had a patchy night IMHO. Did the vocals really
add anything to Spacebrock? How come he sounds so in command- and does
actually sing in tune- on some songs, but groans like a walrus with
toothache on others?

Lest I provoke a rash of anti-Ron posts, it's worth remembering that Saint
Bob himself was extremely erratic in the singing-in-tune department. FWIW
I like RT- because of his evident spirit. (Nice one for setting the security
straight). I'd far rather see an old punk firebrand of dubious musicality like
Ron in the Hawk-family than some tedious old prog-rocker like Jon Wetton
or someone (apologies to all the Asia fans out there, if there are any, which
I doubt). But I wouldn't object if RT polished things up a teeny bit, and nor
would Capt. Brock I suspect.

--
Nick Medford