HW:Re Croydon

Al Ogilvy Alogilvy at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 27 04:07:22 EST 2001

 An unexpected plus from the Croydon Gig...I've just played distant horizons
for the first time since i first brought it....I hated it in '97....played it
once and filed it and forgot about it....I've only just dug it out now
because of Clouded Vision (Didnt recognise it at Croydon !!..)    This time
around its much better....Clouded vision is really quite a strong song and
hopefully the version played live at Croydon will surface again...Wheels also
repays more listening As do the "Brock Solo " pieces, I especially like Taxi
for Max, but IMHO the Album still has to be the most disjointed ragbag of
bits and pieces to appear under the HW name OFFICIALLY and with Daves full
blessing , that I've heard so far. Playing it now it seems more like a
collection of Solo pieces than an album.
 The current core line up of the band is ,again in my humble etc only, the
best for many years. I've always loved Simons contributions to the band, and
Alan is a Bass god. Ron, as I've said before, I think is the best thing to
happen to HW since Bob died, and I was saddenned to hear some twats yelling
abuse at him  at croydon. He's not a Bob clone , Yes there are many
similarities and it would appear that Bob is an inspiration to him , but
whats wrong with that? I'd just love to see more new material with Rons
lyrics. I reckon the Time has come for a definitive HW studio album. The
ingredients are there at present.....Great Musicians , more than one creative
writer , enthusiasm and enjoyment (Witness the fun being had on stage, not
just Croydon but Brixton (And Astoria apparently) )...and Kieth is the
perfect Synth man to continue the Del tradition...He looks and sounds as
though he's been part of the band for years...I cant imagine the Band without
him now.

 Hawkwind...The next generation ?

 Anyway, I'll probably get flamed for my opinions about DH ( and deservedly
for not recognising Clouded visions live !!!) ( At least I admit it with no
excuses).

(Sorry Dave....It was great at Croydon ..Keep it in the set please !!)

 See you all at Aldershot....I'll probably be wearing that appalling red
jacket again ( It keeps me warm !!)....Any Pub suggestions yet ? .