OFF: Mikey looks into silicon heaven

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Mar 27 12:26:12 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Layla Thompson wrote:

:Subject: Re: OFF: Mikey looks into silicon heaven
:
:It won't let me send it. (My fish file)
:
:Says, "service is unavailable. server has permanent fatal errors"
:
:Bugger.
:
:I really want to know why it won't work!!  I hate computers when they won't work.
:
:Anyone know? it says "File can not be opened. It is not a fax image" when I try to open it.
:
:I have tried opening it through everything!!!!!!!!!!
:
:I'm going to go into a dark corner now, and take deep breaths.
:
:Layla

Layla,

It sounds like the file is of the wrong mime type.  Are you running MacOS,
Windows, Unix, or other?

If on a MacOS machine, try hitting (open apple key) i, then change the
association (you may need a disk file editor for this.)

on a windows machine, try renaming the file extension to .exe.

For a unix machine, it would depend on what X server (and screen
saver) you were running.

Failing all of that, see if you can open up the file in a Text Editor.
Is it ascii or if binary, the first few lines may include a correct file
format.

If that doesn't work, see if you can hunt down a decent  hex editor.

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559