HW:Vinyl Trade Help Required

Mark Von Bargen mark.von-bargen at GENIE.CO.UK
Wed Mar 28 02:08:27 EST 2001

Hi,

Some advice required.

I have recently retrieved my entire vinyl collection and need to dispose of
it for two main reasons.
1. I have no space to store the things.
2. I have no record player these days and have no plans to get one in the
   future.

I am planning to advertise the complete collection here. It may take some
time 'cause I have a lot of albums and 12" singles to check through.

Having never traded any items before and not wanting to rip anybody off
(myself included) I need some advice.

Should I just produce a long list of all the items and then wait for
enquiries to flood in - this will take some time as I only have email
access at work?

Should I advertise the items in batches (say 5 at a time) and deal with
them before I advertise the next batch?

Also, I haven't got a clue about gradings; I know the terms mint,
excellent, good, fair etc.. but don't really have anything to compare
against.

And... how about mailing things out. How should I organise things?

A few examples just to whet the appetites:

Hawkwind by Hawkwind - gatefold sleeve on Liberty records. The catch is
that I bought this second hand and there are some transfers (1 or 2 words)
on the cover.

In Search of Space by Hawkwind - fold out cover on UA; with the log book if
I can trace it. Again, it was bought second hand and is only in fair
condition.

A couple of 12" singles by Balaam & the Angel - may be worth a few bob?

Tell me .....

Should do that.... Shouldn't do that!

Now time to get on my Silver Machine and back to work.

Mark