WAY OFF: Insidious business practices

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Mar 28 17:30:20 EST 2001

Hi Folks...

Well, this kind of links up to an earlier thread ending with some discussion
of libertarianism.

On that note, the local grocery store chain (Kroger's) that I've shopped at
for years suddenly introduced this ridiculous "Plus Card" (tm) that appears
to save you money and make it seem like they think you're important to their
business. Well, my immediate scepticism (and my abrupt "No!" when asked if I
would like to sign up for one...."But it only takes a minute.") was based on
a couple simple facts....1. Weren't there already sale prices for certain
grocery items *already* before the card came into existence?, and 2. If it's
free, then why have it at all?  If it's actually *worth* something, perhaps
I'd be willing to pay for it, but I just don't see what benefit it has.

So, obviously, noting that you were required to fill out a
name/address/etc., and then that each was barcoded specifically for you such
that it was passed before the 'evil eye' during checkout, I was certain that
the card has one (and only one) real purpose.  A forced market research
campaign.  It effectively replaces the worthless paper marketing surveys
that they occasionally send in the mail (where they would try to entice you
to fill it out, by entering you in some lottery drawing for a cruise or
something like that).  Of course, hardly anyone wastes the time and postage
to return those.  These are much better!  Near total participation,
completely automated, and great long-term data from individual repeat customers!

Well, it's disgusting, and I won't do it.  Unfortunately, Big Bear down the
street has the same bloody thing, and Meijer (that doesn't *yet* have it) is
quite a drive away.  But at least Big Bear doesn't have *all* their sales
linked up to the card, so I have temporarily switched to that store.  But I
did write them a nasty letter too.

I also wrote to www.privacyfoundation.org, which I learned about from the
TiVo scandal, and they sent a reply back saying basically, 'Yep, you're
right.  They do only want to peer into your buying habits.  And if you want
to have a little fun with them, you can swap cards with somebody else every
so often.'  :) They also told me about this other site, which is the home to
CASPIAN, Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering.  They
are my heroes! :)

http://www.nocards.org

And because of Kroger's new card, they have a special response, which is
quite interesting.  You're paying for their market research!  :)

http://www.nocards.org/savings/krogerads.shtml

Well, that's enough ranting from me, lest you think I've gone all loopy in
the head.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  Have these things gone nationwide?  Worldwide?  They should be banned
quicker than human cloning!  :)