WAY OFF: Insidious business practices

Jerry Guizar jguizar at STNY.RR.COM
Wed Mar 28 18:38:27 EST 2001

From: "K Henderson" <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>

> On that note, the local grocery store chain (Kroger's) that I've shopped
at
> for years suddenly introduced this ridiculous "Plus Card" (tm) that
appears
> to save you money and make it seem like they think you're important to
their
> business. Well, my immediate scepticism (and my abrupt "No!" when asked if
> would like to sign up for one...."But it only takes a minute.") was based
on
> a couple simple facts....1. Weren't there already sale prices for certain
> grocery items *already* before the card came into existence?, and 2. If
it's
> free, then why have it at all?  If it's actually *worth* something,
perhaps
> I'd be willing to pay for it, but I just don't see what benefit it has.

   There's a grocery store here that does the same thing. It really pisses
me
off. The only way to get items on sale is if you have their "Gold" card. I
don't
like it because they have the number linked to you, and everytime you use
it they know when you shopped (what days/times - how often) and what
you buy, how much you spend, and possibly if you use large bills. I can
see something similar coming with (cable TV) set-top boxes.

  I better stop before I start ranting....

Jerry