WAY OFF: Insidious business practices

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Mar 29 00:43:54 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, K Henderson wrote:

:Subject: Re: WAY OFF: Insidious business practices
:
:It's Heath Mackendrick, actually. :)  At least that's what it says in the
:phone book.  :)  (I get the jump on telemarkers, given there's no such
:person.  And I don't have to pay the phone company the money to keep my name
:off the lists they sell to those bastards.)

I do this too.  I'm in the book as Ali Arin.

Good way of telling who is the telemarketer and what mail is complete
junk.

:Yes, I realize that.  But I don't really care about my *specific* privacy in
:regards to grocery items I buy (what the hell do I really care if they know
:what I've purchased?...Froot Loops, mostly) :)  It's the fact that they're
:making it 'mandatory,' and doing it in a way that intends to be subversive.
:So I don't want them succeeding in getting data from me, whether they know
:it's me or not. So using an alias in this case wouldn't actually make me
:feel better.  Now, exchanging the cards with somebody else every month,
:which would pretty much turn their data into random numbers (people becoming
:vegan suddenly, and then not), would please me greatly.  Of course, 50% of
:the people with the cards would need to do it, so.....<sigh>

I tend to go for the "too much information" route (use 10 cards and keep
as many different identities as you can get away with ;-) )

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559