Careful use of the saxophone

Sam Kirwan samantha.kirwan at NTL.COM
Thu Mar 29 03:33:56 EST 2001

I think he looks like a member of Madness, UB40 - something like that.
Definitely a square peg.

Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Jermy [mailto:m.jermy at CRANFIELD.AC.UK]
Sent: 29 March 2001 09:12
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: HW: Careful use of the saxophone

Hi folks,
a question for those who've seen Jez Huggett on stage with HW: what do you
think of the way he plays the sax? I like the presence of the sax, but I
think he plays it in a very different way to Nik. Of course, Jez is bound to
come in for some criticism because he'll always be compared to Nik, and he
will always do things in his own style i.e. slightly differently. However, I
feel there is a fundamental difference: Nik always played coherent muscial
structures, usually going smoothly up and down that scale (this is true also
of his playing with ICU), whereas Jez' style seems more like jazz sax which
includes dissonant leaps over large parts of the scale. I've never found
this very pleasant, it seems gratituous to me. What do you think folks?

Does anyone know if Jez plays the flute? I thought I saw a flute in his rack
on stage at Croydon but don't remember it being played. Much underestimated
rock instrument I think. I've always liked Nik's flute contributions, as
well as Ian Anderson's in Jethro Tull.

I liked Huw's set at Croydon. A bit of mellow acoustic guitar between two
solid blocks of blanga provided a nice contrast, to my taste.

Cheers,
Mark

The contents of, and the information contained in this email and any files transmitted
with it are confidential and legally privileged, and are sent for the personal attention
of the addresse(s). If you are not the intended addressee, any use, disclosure or
copying of this document is unauthorised.

Thank you
NTL