HW,NIK: Strange Trips releases

Eli Friedman EliPXR5 at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 31 09:10:35 EST 2001

Hi Everybody. Happy Saturday (I'll hope.)
Below I've reprinted 2 different responses from this morning to Andy Gilham's
request for feedback on the 3 new live Strange Trips releases on CDR. The
first response came from Steve Hayes (haystack) apparently and I'm pleased
for him that Steve managed to ID his response as just his "humble opinion" as
opposed to his UNBIASED opinion. Anyway, my biased opinion, since I'm friends
with Jim Lascko, is more aligned with the response printed below from Stephe.
I think all 3 releases: Farflung with Nik Turner, Anubian Lights with Nik
Turner, and the solo Harvey Bainbridge set, are classic sets of live music
taken from crisp soundboard recordings and remastered with great care. I
don't think any fan would be disappointed with them on the basis of sound
quality. Yes they're "live", but the sound is excellent in all cases.
    I also thought that the packaging on all 3 was really attractive. Where
else have fans been offered the opportunity to obtain high quality live sets
by these 3 acts? Knowing Jim and his ethics, the way that I do, I'm sure that
all the artists involved have consented to these releases, and will share in
any profits from them. That doesn't sound like a "bootleg" to me. All 3
releases represent, as far as I'm concerned, some of the peak performances
from America's premier space rock festival. Anybody that enjoyed any of Nik's
live Cleopatra releases in the 90's will love the Nik and Farflung set. I
should mention that the beginning of Farflung's set is material without Nik,
and is really awesome live renditions of some great Farflung material. That's
my humble, biased opinion. These 3 are great. If you like Harvey, if you like
Nik, if you like Farflung you will love these. I wouldn't wait for the major
label release though. Get them from Strange Trips. With bias and malice
aforethought, love Eli Friedman