OFF: Black Sun Ensemble

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Mar 19 18:31:54 EST 2001

This album absolutely totally amazingly mindf*ckingly rules ... you need a
copy of it NOW!

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:49:07 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>FYI...interesting news - I'd been looking for this for quite awhile -
>glad I didn't find a crappy vinyl copy before I read this.  :)

Actually, there's one or two songs on the original vinyl for which the
master tapes were lost and don't appear on this CD reissue.  My vinyl copy
did not come cheaply, but was worth every penny.

>THE BLACK SUN ENSEMBLE - S/T - Australia's Camera Obscura label has
>finally made us very happy by reissuing the first LP by this Arizona
>band led by some of the most utterly indescribable and magic guitar
>playing I've ever encountered ...

>Now, does anybody know about this other self-titled BSE disc?  I have (or
>have heard) three studio albums (including the 2000 release) and a live CD
>(that seems like it might be kinda rare as well).  So is the complete BSE
>(perhaps an unfortunate abbreviation) discography total six full-length-
>type releases?

The aforementioned CD on Camera Obscura reissues (self-released) album #1
(I believe there were also a couple of cassette releases around this
time).  The next self-titled album, originally on Reckless, was album #2;
it's the most similar to this one, but not as good.  'Lambent Flame', also
on Reckless, was #3, and there was a third album on Reckless whose title I
forget that was #4.

Hope this helps.  And again, buy this CD!

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com

P.S. Keith - I think you posted on something that I had an answer for a
week or two ago but now I can't remember!  Arrgh!