FW: hawks/fantasy

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue May 1 06:49:01 EDT 2001

On Tue, 1 May 2001 06:17:58 -0400, Colin Allen
<colin at CALLEN18.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:

>Unfortunately, Nipper went to the great kennel in the sky many years ago.

I found this story about G.Baker and said dog in a Roy Harper interview...
Roy was playing Glastonbury and this is what happened...

'I was headlining the Friday night and Ginger Baker forced himself on to
the bill. Eee Christ. Anyway, Ginger turns up and I've never seen anybody
as completely out of it as that. You can't say he was on anything but you
can definitely say that he'd been on everything at some point in the not
too distant past. Everything. 'He had this whippet and he just kept on
saying. 'Ere, where's my f---ing dog? 'Ere, where's my f---ing dog? And the
only other thing he said all day was , 'Ere I'm Ginger Baker, I am. I'm
Ginger Baker....Where's my f---ing dog?' That was all he said. Every time
the dog appeared it was cowering, poor bastard. You just knew that dog got
kicked regularly. 'Later I'm playing the gig, going down quite well,
building up to the finale. Then Ginger starts walking on with drums,
setting up right in front of me, destroying everything. I couldn't believe
it. So I left the microphone and said 'Hey, what you doing?' And he said,
'F--- off, you've been on here to f---ing long, you c---' and his band
started bringing all their gear on. 'So I started to seethe, nudged one of
his drums with my left foot and he lunged at me. I just burst, turned round
and gave him one right in the guts. Ginger goes, 'Urrgghh you c----.' Then
we were fighting and the stage was full of people. I completely flipped my
lid.' '

There we were at a festival dedicated to peace and love man and I hit
someone. He may have been the thickest idiot at the festival but I'd
actually hit him. After that I was filled with frantic remorse and
basically just wanted to hit everyone, everything I could lay my bloody
hands on.' 'So they got hold of my arms and carried me off, looking like
I'm ripe for Broadmore, wearing this human straightjacket, screaming 'You
f---ing bastards. 'I'd lost it altogether, I was fighting f---ing mad.'
'Meanwhile Ginger set up and started playing and the crowd started stoning
him. And he got a bottle in his face or a large stone and they carted him
off to the hospital. There was blood all over him. Needed 12 stitches. So I
had to chuckle afterwards, mainly about the state I'd got in but it did
seem to balance out the furore. But fancy ending up like that. Love and
peace man became a raging f---ing battle.'

Those were the days eh.

Nick M