FW: hawks/fantasy

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue May 1 15:08:08 EDT 2001

In message <200105011512.QAA27895 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk>, M Holmes
<fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> writes

>I was watching Hawkwind at Stonehenge that night, but the next day when
>we got to Glasters, everyone was talking about it.

What, Roy blew out the Henge to play Glasto? What was he thinking of?
Any idea what year that was?

>Of course on the Saturday was the Hawkwind riot (sorry) and then on the
>Sunday night some prats set fire to the wooden toilets.
>
>I concluded that Glastonbury was a dangerous place compared to
>Stonehenge Festival and sent to Stonehenge until the riot cops closed it
>down in 1985. I didn't make Glastonbury again until 1989 but I have been
>to every one since - and there always seems to be substantial amounts of
>crime.

Agreed- and we're not talking non-crimes like low-level drug stuff or little
outbursts of, uh, over-exuberance, are we? The atmosphere at Glasto can be
downright ugly at times. I stopped going over a decade ago- the last time I
went it was marred by various kinds of unpleasantness and at the end of the
weekend I was forced to confront the fact that I'd paid through the nose all
weekend for a not very good time. Only real positive thing I remember that
year was the ubiquitous (in this thread anyway) Roy Harper.

People say it's improved though: that the numbers are better contained and
provided for, so I might reconsider one of these years.
--
Nick Medford