BOC: Curse Of The Hidden Mirror review/SFG stuff/ etc.

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Tue May 1 16:36:53 EDT 2001

> Hey, why didn't they leak an advance copy to the FAQ man instead
> of those robots?

What a most excellent idea!  ;-)

> Um... maybe because they wanted to be guaranteed a gushing review?  Nah,
> that would be too cynical of me...

Hey, I'm as much an ass-kisser as the rest... ;-)

> After all, John is subscribed to that "BOC bashing" board, isn't he? :-)

Heh heh heh... Now now, that was years ago - we're all one big happy
cyber-family now.

> Agreed, BR can't do Al's off-the-wall drumming, but then I haven't
> heard anyone who can pull that off like Al...But in all fairness, BR is
> a great drummer, esp. live.  My only critique is that he's sometimes
> a little slick, but always a total professional...

BR is very much an 80's metal drummer, IMHO.  AB is from a different
time - much more jazz, funk, etc. influences in his stuff - SFG album is
a great example - you don't hear that kind of drumming on rock albums
anymore (well, except maybe tBS...)

>  TUBULAR 1:  Schenck told me that because it's all being done in NY and I
> don't live there, they (SONY/LEGACY) are not interested in having my input...

Well, they need look no further than the SFG CD to see what a difference
getting it done right makes - esp. to the fans (not that Sony would give
a shit about that).

> Having heard this album now, I can understand Meltzer's criticism of BOC
> being stiff somewhat. The SFG didnt like to stay on one riff too long
> without doing SOMETHING cool to it. Dig those PHAT Drum Fills in A Tease
> For Sneakers alllll throughout song and the BAND INTERPLAY during its
> intese jazguitarisms of the jamming middle. wow. can you say kick out the
> jams?

Les Braunstein did a great interview for Morning Final a few years back
talking about how the Soft White Underbelly would jam and do all this
wild stuff.  Great free-form stuff.  However, probably not the most
marketable stuff for a record company?