BOC: fakes? SFG liner notes revelation

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue May 1 23:49:41 EDT 2001

On Tue, 1 May 2001 23:28:58 EDT, Robert C. Mayo <RMayo19761 at AOL.COM> wrote:
>... it's more than a little disheartening for this fan to
>read that, after being screwed by fate and Elektra Records one too many
>times, the band made a conscious decision to try to 'become' a (pseudo-)
>heavy metal band. And the 'metal they played at first' was a joke to
>them---what, like the debut lp? Tyranny and Mutation?
>
>This, my freinds, brings new relevance to the lyric: '...And the joke's on
>you'...

Joe Carducci summed it up pretty well in his BRILLIANT book, 'Rock and the
Pop Narcotic' (highly, highly recommended to the very intelligent fans on
this list):

"Extra points awarded here for hiding behind what was taken to be crypto-
fascist fascia when in fact they were all five foot Jews from New York"

Make of that what you will ...

... and, while I have the book in front of me, his take on Hawkwind:

"These guys are the loosest, most organic band the UK has produced, and by
the sound of things it took a truckload of drugs to get them this way."

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com