BOC: Origin of St Cecilia/Connection with The King in Yellow?

RPManny rpmanny at SPRYNET.COM
Wed May 2 20:27:45 EDT 2001

Dear Warrick,
    I had the same question about St. Cecilia and I searched the internet
from Dogpile.com (a useful search tool because it feeds data to several
search engines at once).  Anyway, St. Cecilia was a Christian betrothed to a
non-believer.  She did not wish to give herself to this non-believer and by
her faith, he converted.  Subsequently, her husband and another man (perhaps
his brother, I'm sorry, faulty memory on my part) were executed by the Roman
ruler (Prelate, magnate, again, "sigh", I don't recall).  She was brought
before this ruler and she refused to renounce her faith and certain romance
legends state that several attempts at execution were attempted without
success.  These are reported as including, drowning in her bathtub, and
decapitation (numerous attempts during one setting, so to speak).
    She is considered to be the patron saint of music because she hummed or
sang during or before her final martyrdom.  I found some interesting and
informative links that tell the story of this early Christian better and
more beautifully than I ever could.  So moved was Chaucer, that she is the
subject of the Second Nun's tale.

Richard