tour dates and court case

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu May 3 18:42:13 EDT 2001

Hey there folks,

...am just now chatting on #hawkwind.org.uk (I promise I'll have an
irc guide up soon.  really!)

A few new gigs just got announced (I'm sure Rik will get them out
officially soon.)...and hawkwind is going to court over brixton.

see the raw irc log below (sorry about the lousy format, but I'm doing
this in a hurry.)

Arin

> any new cd news? tour news? festival news?  or anything else I can winnow out of you folks? <grin>
<Hawkpeople> Confirmed solstice festival gig on 22nd June at Donnington Park...was the Derby rock and Blues but moved because of foot and mouth
> ah cool.
<MooonGluum> (humbly:) will u be at brockwell park 16th june?
<Hawkpeople> No not brockwell, but free fetival in Norwich on 4th August
<MooonGluum> excellent will come to donnington for sure norwich if poss
<MooonGluum> thanks for aldershot & croydon both superb
<Hawkpeople> Also gig in birmingham on 8th nov. Festival type dauy indoors with other bandas, eg Ozrics, Gong etc
> hawkpeople: once upon a time there was talk of a 3 day hawkfest this summer.  Is that still a possibility, or (what, with all the other festivals :-) ) is that now probably not on?
> yeesh.  I need to move to england.
<TheTomorrowMan> my jenny says to play a gig while she is in the UK, 28th June - 1st Aug
<Hawkpeople> Hopefully more dates to be arranged around the Birmingham date, maybe 10 days......Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, etc
<MooonGluum> starting to look like traditional HW autumn tour - hooray!
> I sense a november-vacation-in-england week in my future.
<MooonGluum> arin: forget worldcon?
<Hawkpeople> Trying to organise good new studio album :)
<MooonGluum> double hooray!!!!!
> mooongluum: i can't.  already have membership and hotel.  Time to work overtime for some comp time (pseudo vacation).  or perhaps a sudden illness ;-)
<MooonGluum> arin: illness yes
<MooonGluum> hawkpeople: a while ago ron mentioned lack of recording contract as obstacle to new studio album: is that resoved?
> hey....if you guys do the tour thing in november, I want to see if I can figure out a way of chartering a bus or something for a bunch of fans.  so we can hit lots of shows ;-)
<Hawkpeople> That sounds good:)
<MooonGluum> electric acid cool aid test UK 2001
<Hawkpeople> Hey..also gig late November at the Royal festival hall......Psycadelic weekend
<TheTomorrowMan> wow excellent, thats a cool venue, saw Tomita there
<MooonGluum> i may have to reconsider emigrating
> moongluum, definitely.  I wish I was living over there.  It'd be easier to feed my addiction ;-)
<MooonGluum> hawkpeople: what was your favourite gig on spring mini tour?
<MooonGluum> hi splodgey hope i didn't annoy u
<MooonGluum> guess i did
<TheTomorrowMan> lol
<TheTomorrowMan> he just noticed you were still here moon ;)
<Hawkpeople> Most were fun...although the Aldershot promoter withheld money and was an awkward b'stard
> a new studio album (getting back to earlier topics ;-) ) would be a good thing....
<Hawkpeople> We won't play there again
<MooonGluum> tell me his name & address & i will arrange for bad stuff to happen to him
> sigh.  sometimes the music industry seem to be composed of complete b'stards.
<TheTomorrowMan> lol
<MooonGluum> except you of course hawkpeople
* ArinK smiles
<Hawkpeople> We are going to court over the brixton fiasco
> oh.  You have my sympathies.  Sounds like much not fun.
<MooonGluum> jeez...i'll contribute to your legal costs if you take credit cards
> we could take up a collection for legal costs.
<Hawkpeople> Not much fun....but we have decided to publisise it and get as many press and Hawkwind fans there as possible, when the case takes place
> just let us know when and where, and we'll (speaking on behalf of a bunch of people I have no right to, of course) will try to be there.
<MooonGluum> count me in.  i mean it about the contribution too
> let the 2 lists know about it too.  I'm certain that support will be forthcoming.
<TheTomorrowMan> im back
<TheTomorrowMan> what happened at Brixton
<Hawkpeople> Well it was going to be in Taunton, but it just got moved to London, but we are appealling and trying to get it back to the west country.......perhaps we can do a festival to co incide......:-)
<TheTomorrowMan> ?
> a good incentive, certainly.  When is it (or a close approximation?)
<Hawkpeople> Don't know, but the courts seem to be moving fairly quickly
<MooonGluum> tomorrow man this is about legal action against brixton promoter who is a ***
<TheTomorrowMan> i get ya
<MooonGluum> make that f****** c***
> as soon as you get an approximation, let me/us know.  I'll need to plan flights and stuff.
<Hawkpeople> They say fans did not pay to see Dave +co, but for the event......
<MooonGluum> bollocks i hated that shite disco in the foyer
<MooonGluum> sorry rude words called for
<TheTomorrowMan> sounds like Bill Clintons ideas about sex
<Hawkpeople> Soon as we have approx date, we will announce it on MC and lists :)
> bastards.  Just let me testify in front of 'em, I'll let them know.  I mean, why on earth would I possibly go over to England just to go catch some random gig at Brixton.  idiots.
> I go for the band ;-)
<MooonGluum> totally right arin
<Hawkpeople> Hey.....a petition might help??
> then we'll start one for you.
<TheTomorrowMan> that sounds like a legal arguement though, they play with words these legal folks
> Should it stress that we [the fans] were there specifically to see hawkwind?
<TheTomorrowMan> does the promoter have anything to do with the venue or is that a separate thing?
<Hawkpeople> Great, Will send you legal type jargon to head it
<MooonGluum> what should the wording be - "we the undersigned declare that we attended the Hawkestra at Brixton etc for the sole purpose of seeing Hawkwind perform"
<MooonGluum> we can copy wording off some other petition there must be some on the web
> thanks hawkpeople.  We'll get it going as soon as we get the legal jargonese.
<Hawkpeople> Will get advise and come back to you on this
> certainly.  We stand ready to help.
<TheTomorrowMan> bad publicity is a better idea though
<TheTomorrowMan> not good for his business if everyone knows he wont pay
> well, nailing the guy's hide to the wall is a good idea, too ;-)
<Hawkpeople> We are not arguing about the money really.....its the principal
> hear, hear.
<ormuzd> hi everybody
<MooonGluum> why should you be ripped off after playing 3 and a half hours for te fans
<TheTomorrowMan> hi nick
<ormuzd> hi!
<MooonGluum> hi ormuzd
<ormuzd> hello to all
<ormuzd> including the Hawkpeople of course
> the petition certainly couldn't hurt.
<Hawkpeople> Hi
<Hawkpeople> We need all the help we can get against the "big boys"
<TheTomorrowMan> negative publicity can be effective, ebay on the net makes use of it for when you buy stuff off people
> absolutely.  ...and we'll help however we can.
<TheTomorrowMan> if someone rips u off, u just let everyone else know who they are
<Hawkpeople> We were not allowed to do any gigs that year to make way for Hawkestra!
<MooonGluum> you owe me 10p tomorrowman
<TheTomorrowMan> lol
<MooonGluum> hawkpeople, you seem to be making up for it this year thank you thank you thank you

Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559