HW: Re: [Hawkwind] 25 years on and astounding questions....

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat May 12 09:05:30 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <hawklord at x-treme.gr>
To: <Hawkwind at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 1:00 PM
Subject: [Hawkwind] 25 years on and astounding questions....

> aloha space cadets....
>
> the greek hawklord needs some answers in these two questions....
>
> 1- is it harder to find a "normal" original copy of astounding
sounds
> vinyl (charisma cds 4004 brown label) , you know, the one without
the
> reversed sleeve, than the mistyped front-back sleeve?
> i have the eagle in front and girl in back, ind i found it same
circa
> 5 times or so....  (please mention the first pressings only, i.e
> brown charisma labels, and not represses) and i never found a
"normal
> copy....(girl front-eagle back)

I don't think a "normal" copy exists does it?    As far as I know
the sleeve was deliberately done with the eagle and tracklisting on
front and girl on the back.   Just to be different.     I could be
misremembering here but doesn't Brian Tawn mention this somewhere in
one of his publications?

> 2- i found 2 copies (ordered) of "25 years on" (charisma cds 4014
> brown label, first pressings) the one having "hawklords" on spine
and
> the other "hawklords 25 years on" on spine.....
> me and my pal tossed coin and i got the very first one (full title
on
> spine). i know it is more rare but the retailer sold the 2 copies
equal (they
> were identical apart the spine lettering.... can you tell me how
rare is it to find "full lettered spine" copies?
> was i much much lucier than my friend?

The vinyl inside is not quite identical.    Interestingly I went
record shopping in London after the Astoria gig and found a
Hawklords vinyl album which I bought as a spare copy.   I hadn't
checked the spine lettering until just now.   The album I bought
reads 'Hawklords 25 years On'.    The album I already had (together
with the booklet, although I think this was actually sold separately
for the tour) reads 'Hawklords'.    If however you check the album
itself and look at the numbers in the run off groove 'Hawklords 25
Years On' sleeve album has A#1 and B#1 printed on the relevant
sides.    The 'Hawklords' sleeve album has A#2 and B#2 printed on
the relevant sides.      I therefore conclude that the sleeve
labelled "Hawlords 25 Years On" contains a first pressing and the
"Hawklords" sleeve contains a re-issue.
Quod erat demonstrandum (as it were).

I understand the 'full lettered spine' is less frequently found than
the other version though how much rarer it is I can't say since both
versions are difficult to find these days!

Hope this is comprehensible!
jill
PS:: I'm copying this to boc-l in case someone there has greater
depth and inside knowledge than I do.