HW: Hawk Logs Master Series: Part 2 (of 3)

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon May 21 16:30:57 EDT 2001

Hawk Logs Master Series: Part 2 (of 3)

6. Rocky Paths (61 minutes)
     Live at Watchfield and Stonehenge 1976
Robot / Cake Out / Circles / Elements / Slap It On Der Table / High Rise /
Damnation Alley / Uncle Sam
     Xenon Codex Tour Hammersmith 1988 (Part 4)
Sonic Attack / Rocky Paths / Brainstorm

Watchfield/Stonehenge are basically the Weird versions.

7. Earth Calling (57 minutes)
     Live at Brmingham Kinetic Playground 2/12/71
Technicians of Spaceship Earth / You Shouldn't Do That / The Awakening / You
Know You're Only Dreaming / Starfarers Despatch / Master of the Universe /
Paranoia / Earth Calling / Silver machine / Welcome to the Future
     Live at Glasgow Appolo 1982
Choose Your Masks / Coded languages

The '71 set is great, tho the sound quality is not so good - very like Text
of Festival in fact. Vocals are mostly non-existent or buried in the mix,
except for Bob who does great deadpan/monotone/deliberate readings of his
poetry and sings Silver Machine. At the end everyone has an orgasm on stage.

8. Dust of Time (57 minutes)
     Live at Glasgow Apollo 1982
Magnu / Dust of Time / Waiting for Tomorrow / Angels of Death / Ghost Dance
/ The Golden Void / The Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear in Smoke)
     Live USA 1973
Space is Deep / Down on Her Knees / Live and Let Live / Etchanatay

The '82 set started on the previous disc and is again similar to the CYM 2
CD set, I think it first appeared under the name Golden Void. The '73 stuff
is I believe half of Weird 108. I don't believe it is actually live - Dave
is playing rhythm and lead simultaneously on Down on Her Knees for example.
Or is this a live/clean-up in the studio job, a la Silver Machine? Also,
DoHK had (I think) a Dave-solo demo version called Ode to a Fallen Film Star
that appeared on one of the Spirit boots - does anyone know if that has
appeared anywhere else? Finally, Live and Let Live (and Etchanatay) has what
must be a really REALLY early example of sampling, unless it was added later
for the Weird tapes release. Does anyone know?

9. Death Trap (69 minutes)
     Live 1976-77-78
Death Trap / Micro Man / Spirit of the Age / Urban Guerilla / Quark / Master
of the Universe  / Future / Sonic Attack / Back on the Streets / City of
Lagoons / Brainstorm / Wind of Change / Assassins of Allah

These are all Weird versions I think.

10. Demos (61 minutes)
     Brock demos
Streets of Fear / First Landing on Medusa / Touchdown / Winter of our
Discontent / Choose Your Masques / Looking in the Future / Space Travellers
/ Circles / Speed of Light / Bombed Out / Nuclear Toy / The War / The Dream
/ Assassination / The Dream II / Satellite

Again, these are all available on the Weird CDs.

Stephan

     Stephan Forstner
     stemfors at pipeline.com
     stephan at mullermedia.com