Lounge Ax

Stephen Lindas Lindas at MARKETDAY.COM
Thu May 24 03:40:02 EDT 2001

MY copy has those sounds on it too,so it must be the recording.STEPHE

-----Original Message-----
From: K Henderson [mailto:henderson.120 at OSU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 9:34 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: HW: Lounge Ax

Hi Folks...

Just got the travelling CDR master of this 1989 show, and will soon pass it
on to the next name on the list.

After one quick listen, a couple questions/comments...

1.  Are those annoying screechy bits actually on the recording?  My little
crappy box CD player isn't making that sound is it?

2.  Overall, the recording quality is acceptable, after the obligatory
initial few minutes of adjustments during Magnu (sadly).  But then there are
the nasty screeches (what the hell *are* they?  Not normal feedback, that
only occurs once here IIRC, it's like a taping error...only lasts a half a
second), which (because there are perhaps only 20 or so throughout the
entire show) I thought could have been 'removed' by some sort of digital
filtering that I know some of you probably could do (?).  And then there's
the guy talking (during Harvey's quiet bit) about how much acid he took the
first time he saw Hawkwind in the 70s or something.  :)  And there's the
break/splice (tape flip?) around Back in the Box/Utopia (I think), and the
early cutoff of Hassan I Sahba.  No dogs barking tho'.

3.  Alan Davey is singing Golden Void here, isn't he?  I don't have Palace
Springs here to compare, and I can't say I have a good enough memory to say
whether he sang it at Toronto and/or Cleveland (the two shows I saw that
year), but I was rather surprised it wasn't Dave.  Perhaps this was a
one-gig 'anomaly' because of a sore throat or something.  I have to say
though, that he sang it pretty well.  I always thought Alan sang *some* HW
songs really well, and others really awful (like "Ejection"...ick - wrong
voice!).

4.  The brief segue/intro guitar bits from Brock on Damnation Alley are
awesome here!  And I can't remember this little bit from Palace
Springs...it's a shame it didn't come through there.

5.   That 1989 tour was really awesome, and I appreciate having caught them
twice on that tour, including the first North American show in 11 years.
That Toronto show was really the first (of many) time(s) that I actually
travelled to see a concert, and it was well worth it.

Grakkl (FAA)