HW: Lounge Ax

Jerry Guizar jguizar at STNY.RR.COM
Thu May 24 08:01:53 EDT 2001

From: "K Henderson" <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>

> Hi Folks...
>
> Just got the travelling CDR master of this 1989 show, and will soon pass
it
> on to the next name on the list.
>
> After one quick listen, a couple questions/comments...
>
> 1.  Are those annoying screechy bits actually on the recording?  My little
> crappy box CD player isn't making that sound is it?
>
> 2.  Overall, the recording quality is acceptable, after the obligatory
> initial few minutes of adjustments during Magnu (sadly).  But then there
are
> the nasty screeches (what the hell *are* they?  Not normal feedback, that
> only occurs once here IIRC, it's like a taping error...only lasts a half a
> second), which (because there are perhaps only 20 or so throughout the
> entire show) I thought could have been 'removed' by some sort of digital
> filtering that I know some of you probably could do (?).  And then there's
> the guy talking (during Harvey's quiet bit) about how much acid he took
the
> first time he saw Hawkwind in the 70s or something.  :)  And there's the
> break/splice (tape flip?) around Back in the Box/Utopia (I think), and the
> early cutoff of Hassan I Sahba.  No dogs barking tho'.

   On mine too. I thought that it was artifacts caused from going MP3 to
WAV. I don't
have the MP3's to see if those noises are on them too or not.

   What do people use for filtering? I have a Horslips .wav from vinyl
that's really
bad and a couple of Jane albums I'd like to clean up a little more (pops and
clicks mainly). I've tried the demos of DART, Sound Forge, Cool Edit, but
they make it sound worse. Some of them end up putting Mike Oldfield type
bells in where there were clicks.

Jerry