HW: King and Powell

Captain Bl@ck starfield at SUPANET.COM
Sat May 26 05:11:46 EDT 2001

As I'm sure you're aware, Alan Powell was invited to join temporarily after
Simon King broke some ribs playing football. This was after Hall of the
Mountain Grill was recorded. As we know, Alan remained in the ranks when
Simon rejoined.

There was two full kits - some numbers both Alan and Simon would play on
(Magnu/Time for Sale), some would feature just Simon (some of the older
stuff usually) and some just Alan (eg, Chronoglide Skyway).

On Steppenwolf for example, Simon plays the drums whilst Alan plays mostly
percussion. Opa Loka is both of them, Simon plays the fast beat, Alan plays
it half-time.

You really have to listen to Warriors/Astounding/Live '76/Watchfield to get
a feel for their different styles.

As for how many gigs, someone like Adrian Parr or Bernhard P. might be
better placed to answer that.

Captain Bl at ck.

----- Original Message -----
From: david hall <dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 1:18 AM
Subject: HW: King and Powell

Can someone answer the following questions:
Who played on what on HotMG - is it Simon on the live stuff and Alan on the
studio?
How many gigs did they play together?
How did they split it live? - two full kits and straight duplication? one on
full kit and the other on percussion? The photo on the Warrior inner bag
seems to suggest two full kits.

Dave