OFF: Magazine, Farflung

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon May 28 14:27:20 EDT 2001

In message <200105271644.MAA05804 at listserv.spc.edu>, Moonglum
<moonglum at DREAMWORKER.CO.UK> writes
>Hi Nick
>
>Magazine 3-cd for a tenner is definitely worth it.  They are not really
>Buzzcocks-like, despite that being where Howard Devoto came from.

>  They
>came to public attention with Shot By Both Sides which is an atypical piece
>of new wave blanga.  Most of their stuff is new-wave oriented but is more
>keyboard- than guitar-dominated.  They sound a little bit like The Tubes,
>or pre-Midge Ure Ultravox...musically they have the same breadth and depth
>as the best Bowie (Heroes era), but the sound is meatier than anything
>Bowie did.

Interesting mix of reference points! The Tubes had their moments, and the
"What Do You Want ..."  live album remains a minor classic... pre-Ure
Ultravox I don't think I've ever heard, post-Ure Ultravox was bloody awful
as far as I recall... and Bowie- well I've never been a fan, but I can
understand why people are, if you see what I mean.

>There must be some mp3's you can listen to....

I would think so but I haven't found any. The best I've come up with is
some short Realaudio samples at Amazon, and whaddayaknow- my
Realplayer is playing up so that's no good either.

>I don't have any url's to
>hand since I am a long way from home right now...or muzd I send you one
>anyway lol...

Maybe...

Anyway in the light of not one but two offers to buy the box-set from me if
it don't float my boat, I am going to get the thing sometime this week.

Cheers for all the responses

On the subject of MP3's, I did find some by Farflung (at mp3.com), and
having read about them endlessly here, I felt compelled to check 'em out,
and they are amazing!
--
Nick Medford