HW: Hairy Warriors

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed May 30 16:09:17 EDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001 21:57:56 EDT, Joe Loehr <JLoehr4299 at AOL.COM> wrote:
>My CD is the Griffin one from the Box Set, which says " . . . was
>digitally transferred from the Atco master tapes . . .," which means
>it's a copy of the US LP,

No, it's a copy of the US master tape (actually a second-
generation "safety" master, I've been told, which may mean it's one
additional generation removed from the UK master tape).  It was NOT
mastered from vinyl.

>whereas the Dojo is a copy of the UK, I guess?

Yes, the Dojo is a copy of *a* UK VINYL LP - NOT the master tape, original
or safety/backup copy.  The UK master tape is apparently missing (even
though vinyl copies were being pressed through *at least* the mid-80s - my
first copy was a later, post-shield, UK pressing), which would be one
reason it wasn't part of EMI's remaster series.

To reiterate, the US (Griffin) CD is mastered from an actual master tape,
and the UK (Dojo) CD is mastered from vinyl.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com