HW et al: Fuz magazine #2

Thu May 31 13:47:03 EDT 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Douglas Pearson wrote:

<big snip of _Think Pink_ credits>

> Knights of the Fairy Sword - vocals (3)
> Pink Fairies Motorcycle Club and All-Star Rock and Roll Band - percussion
> (6,9), vocal effects (6), handclaps (7), vocals (9)
>
> "Silver", of course, was Twink's girlfriend at the time (happy couple
> pictured on the back cover).  No credits as to who the "Knights" or "PF's
> MC and all-star R&R band" are, but I'm sure it's safe to assume that the
> latter included Duncan Sanderson & Russell Hunter of the Deviants/Pink
> Fairies.

        Not so sure. Russell Hunter, in the liner notes to _Mandies and
Mescalines Round at Uncle Harry's_ says the Pink Fairies Motorcycle Club
was where the name Pink Fairies came from, and that it was a three-piece,
not necessarily a band except of rogues, composed of Twink, Mick Farren
and Peregrine Took. I'd discount this, since it differs so much from the
normal story of the origin of the Pink Fairies, except that that story is
usually told by Twink, whose version of reality is often more personal
than most. Twink seems to claim that three-piece as the first PF line-up,
with various extras bouncing in and out; Russell Hunter reckons that was a
drinking club not a band and that PF began when Twink rang him, Rudolph
and Sanderson in the aftermath of the Deviants break-up and said,
"Let's form a band", later leaving since he couldn't elbow Russell
out. Both these versions seem to have axes a-grindin'. I suspect the only
person who could reliably say is probably Mick Farren. Yours,
                                                              Jon

       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk