spacebrock comments

Thu May 31 14:22:10 EDT 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001, K Henderson wrote:

> In fact, I don't see why a track or two from Keith and Danny's repertoire
> couldn't become part of the Hawkwind standard set right now.  You know
> there's plenty of precedence for this.  Think Swindells' Shot Down, Blake's
> Lighthouse (and NJ, and Nati as well), and even Hale's Dangerous Visions.
> It seems all the keyboardists get their stuff in there.  Seems to me that
> 'Return to Earth' and/or 'Telepathy' would make great tracks to add to the
> live set.  Especially the former, with Richard really having fun on the
> bongos in the midsection, just as he's been doing on Space is Their
> (Palestine) for the past five years.

        It's my impression, and no more than that, based on no actual
knowledge, that these days the Captain considers Hawkwind to be a slightly
more exclusive beast. I don't see them doing songs that aren't Hawkwind
songs, although of course they do do `Lighthouse' - but that's been on a
Hawkwind album, hasn't it, and so forth. I think adding some extra
material from their splinter bands (Bedouin, Paradogs, Starfield) might
make things a littl bit more modern but I think the variety in the set
list is already so high that it doesn't need help.

        What I want is for Alan and Keith and people to write some
Hawkwind songs :-) But you know me, never satisfied until the album comes
out and then very rarely.

> And this brings up a question...does anybody know what the official lineup
> of the band *is* just now?
>
> My guess is...
> Dave Brock - G,V,K
> Ron Tree - V (B if needed)
> Alan Davey - B,V (whenever available)
> Richard Chadwick - D
> Keith Kniveton - K
> Jez Huggett - Sax (Member-in-training?)
> Harvey Bainbridge - K,V (permanent welcome guest)
> Simon House - Violin (permanent welcome guest)

        Mission Control still reckons the line-up to be the 4-piece. And
these pages have lately been updated so I guess that's current. I'm not
sure Harvey is willing to guest at the moment. I also don't think Dave
would willingly take the band out on tour without Alan; if Alan gets a
deal for Bedouin ever the competition may become an issue though, or at
least that's my guess. No real information though, as I say. Yours,
                                                                    Jon

       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk