OFF: what was it with the 80s...?

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 1 00:24:08 EST 2001

In a message dated 10/31/01 3:02:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
deltawave at METRONET.COM writes:

> when I drove out to California in 89 to see Hawkwind in L.A., we rounded a
>  corner and bumped face to face with a couple of the guys from St. Vitus,
>  and they were in a bad mood, and could "smell" that we were not local, and
>  they said something wrong, and my friend jumped right into position with
>  fists, I cringed and looked to see where I would run off to like a
>  squirrel, but they quickly realised my friends were almost as "cool" as
>  they were, and once they heard we were from Texas, the one of them had a
>  mom or an aunt or something, and a nice long conversation was had by
>  all.......one of them was the "new" singer as of 89.....

hmmm....I remember one of the members being from Texas... Singer Wino quit
right around '90, then the Swedish dude joined in '92/'93 after the
reformation. Wino joined around '86, I believe. Reminds me of '93/'94...my
favorite bands of the time--Vitus, bad brains, Blue Oyster Cult, Accused, Dr.
Know, Manilla Road, Therion, Venom, Cathedral, Thin Lizzy, Bloodrock, Atomic
Rooster, Budgie, Anacrusis, Skyclad, Marillion, The Obsessed (see Vitus!),
Paradise Lost, Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost, Kreator, Morbid Angel, etc... tse
tse... (HW et al shortly to follow...) Chuck
NP: Thrilling Adventures

...moving from Metal to More...Rich and Stephan: quite interesting to see
lists of underground thrash/metal/crossover bands I thought I only listened
to on the list... (Deathrow, Blessed Death?? ya gotta be kiddin me! How about
Deathwish, for the Brits?) I was gonna mention that for me the '80s weren't a
bust because of metal/crossover...but I think folks here have already heard
the spiel from me...at least I'm not alone now... :)

Chuck