Nik Q&A

Colin Allen colin at CALLEN18.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Nov 2 08:26:27 EST 2001

>Yes, but I seem to remember those _Spacebrock_ mispresses didn't go to
>waste---Voiceprint used them as the "special free gift" for those who
>collected enough of the Kollector release tokens.  At the time there
>were a LOT of fans who thought that was the nadir of Hawkwind fan
>exploitation...

Myself included.  That certainly was a low point; however, we did not pay
for them and I feel that the situation is rather different from that of
2001 where people paid money for a faulty recording which was touted as
a "rarity" when, in fact, it should have been binned.

Ultimately, all bands "exploit" the loyalty of fans; that is how the
business works.  However, there are degrees of exploitation and I feel that
Nik has crossed into an area of exploitation of both fans and the name of
Hawkwind/Hawkestra that is unacceptable to me at least.  We are all free to
make our own decisions and I do not think that I will be going to see
Nik's "Hawkestra" again or buying any of their recordings.  If he was to
reform ICU and tour and record with them, that would be a different matter
entirely for me.

Regards,

COLIN