Monday GUARDIAN - Arts Section HW

Sat Nov 3 15:33:27 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 04:33:56PM -0400, Doug Pearson typed out:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:15:02 +0100, Andy Gilham <email at ANDYGILHAM.COM> wrote:
> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/story/0,3604,560896,00.html
>
> Does anyone find this quote disturbing (not the part about Arthur Brown!):
> "In best Hawkwind tradition, the Royal Festival Hall gig promises special
> guests ranging from Arthur Brown to Blur guitarist Graham Coxon ..."
>
> ... and this quote amusing (in its grossly-multiple inaccuracies):
> "They have also set up their own Emergency Broadcast Systems label, which
> allows them the kind of control they could never achieve on a major label."
>
>     -Doug (not a Britpop fan, sorry)

        I would have found that interesting, as I said. The guy may have
been in Blur but he has a deep and abiding love of delay, fuzz, distortion
and tape looping. I still want to know why that didn't happen. After all,
we had been being urged by Mission Control to ask for our money back from
the Hawkestra promoters when the Deviants were taken off the bill...

        The EBS quote is just ironic in so many ways that it's a
classic. Yours,
                Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk