BOC: Mirrors

Sat Nov 3 15:46:25 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:22:59PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> >>  > Although I can somewhat understand it, I have to put up a (small)
> >>  > protest to
> >>  > the slagging Mirrors occasionally takes here.
> >
> >LOL - just don't slag the almighty Club Ninja!  ;-)
>
> Well, I'll chime in to say I like plenty of the stuff on Mirrors.
> OK, it's no _ST_ (or _Imaginos_, for that matter!), but it's not bad
> at all.  Better album than I've made :)

        I'll have to take your word for that as you've never played more
than one track of the album you have made at me...

> >Now, if this had been any other BOC forum, I would immediately expect a
> >number of people to rush to that album's defense.  Maybe it'll happen
> >here, but I'll just say that my intent of mentioning CN is not to
> >announce my own displeasure for the album, and yes it does have some
> >good songs
>
> I kinda like "Beat 'em Up" for reasons I don't entirely understand :)

        I maintain, well, I have done before and look here I go again,
that `Beat 'Em Up' is a fine song ruined by incredibly bad lyrics. At
least I thought they were incredibly bad till I heard `I Just Like to be
Bad' and now I yearn for the old days. But musically there's nothing wrong
with it at all. It is the only track on CN which can be so praised, though
in fact I would probably save `White Flags' also.

> >(but ask any 6 BOC fans what their favorite CN track is and
> >you'll get 6 different answers) - my point is that it is regarded by BOC
> >fans *in general* as the band's weakest output.
>
> I'd have to reassess it against the new one :/

        Easy. Playing much poorer than the new one, material even thinner,
production rough and loud, band coherence lower; however, lyrics
marginally better, and feel of edge and attack, much much harder. But I
don't actively dislike any of CotHM (bar ILtbB) as much as I dislike large
portions of CN. In fact I think `Madness to the Method' may in fact have
worse lyrics in it than anything Shirley's been behind, and is even lamer
than `Showtime' for that line about the fist and the godawfl upward
key-change that means Buck is destroying a good riff because he can't sing
low enough... argghh... I'll stop now... Yours,
                                                Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk