BOC: Mirrors

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Sun Nov 4 08:52:20 EST 2001

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 08:46:25PM +0000, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:22:59PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> >
> > I kinda like "Beat 'em Up" for reasons I don't entirely understand :)
>
>         I maintain, well, I have done before and look here I go again,
> that `Beat 'Em Up' is a fine song ruined by incredibly bad lyrics. At
> least I thought they were incredibly bad till I heard `I Just Like to be
> Bad' and now I yearn for the old days. But musically there's nothing wrong
> with it at all. It is the only track on CN which can be so praised, though
> in fact I would probably save `White Flags' also.

White Flags is a pretty good pop song, though what it's doing on a BOC
album is sort of beyond me...  But aren't you forgetting Perfect
Water?  In spite of a couple of godawful verses ("Do you know Jacques
Cousteau?  Well he said on the radio...") I think it's actually the
best and most BOC-ish tune on that album.

Steve