HW: Swindon

Ian Abrahams ian at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Nov 4 10:37:26 EST 2001

Well, as Steve has already indicated...what a gig!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't manage to meet any list members at the pub before the gig, though did get to say a quick hello to Mike (Wright) at the venue.

Firstly, no Tim Blake (reason unexplained) so Simon House opened (double good fortune here...I've always been unlucky before and never caught a gig with him playing). A very enjoyable set, have to again agree with Steve: a pity about the singing (for older UK list members, it was a bit like the endings of the old Mike Yarwood TV shows "and this is me...") but *what a musician*.

So, spirits and omens were good for the main set. The Wyvern Theatre (a small but not too small venue) was full and it was interesting to note the make up of the audience..a lot of families with small children for instance.

Despite it being the opener for the RFH gig, a surprise to hear Lighthouse without Tim, but Dave did a good job on the vocals. Highspots? Most of the gig really. For anybody with lingering doubts about Huw's ability these days....this man was the star of the show: really enjoying himself and producing a performance as good as I've ever seen him play. He also worked well with Simon (despite some unfortunate technical problems that Simon was having) and I felt the two of them left eachother enough musical space for two lead instruments to work. Should note, Simon also played a lot of keyboards which I guessing was down to Tim's absence.

Negatives? No many. Can't believe the latest CD releases weren't on sale! Note, for people after Weird 6 - this was!  And, I've got to say, Assassins of Allah...didn't need it. A nervous groan went around the hall when it was introduced (though this prompted DB to talk about it's relevance) and although it went down well (middle section was very good)...to be honest I still think it's inappropriate at the moment and very tired. But, hey, everything else was great! (Two encores!)

Thought the band sounded really together and well rehearsed and really, probably the best HW show that I've seen...very special indeed. Hope this line-up can keep together for a good time to come. List members going to other gigs on this tour, if Swindon was anything to go by you are in for a real treat.

Ian