OFF: Mogwai and Tortoise?

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 5 12:25:06 EST 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:20:30 -0000, Beautiful Foot
<beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>I can wholeheartedly recommend Tortoise.  I've never heard Mogwai, and I'm
>fan of GYBE! so I would disagree with any comparison there apart from both
>bands being instrumental and experimental.
>Typically for me, my favourites would be Tortoise and Millions Living Will
>Never Die (their 1st and 2nd LPs).
>Very mellow, but quite intense.  It's very very good headphone music.
>
>Chris.

I'd go along with that. Tortoise have quite a strong experimental jazz
influence, and the sound is bass-driven, quite laid-back and reflective,
but full of subtlety and musical tricks. "Millions Now Living..." would be
my pick of their albums. I was a bit disappointed by "TNT" which seemed to
overdo the artsy cleverness and came over as a bit dry, though it has its
moments too. Haven't heard their latest one. I can't see much similarity
with GYBE except that both bands play rather left-field instrumental music
and aren't afraid to take musical risks. But they don't really sound like
each other.

Never heard Mogwai, although I keep seing them mentioned in these kinds of
discussions, so maybe I should.

NM