HW: Swindon

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 5 12:47:18 EST 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:59:36 EST, DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:

>"assassins of allah" was as conceptualized as "urban guerrilla" ; Calvert
in
>character, play-acting...he didnt make 'bombs in his cellar', didnt wish
>'death to all infidels in oil', etc
>etc

Exactly, and that was one of Calvert's special gifts- creating these
fantastical roles and inhabiting them in song. Those songs are clever and
edgy and I love them. But they are in the end escapist fantasies with only
a tangential relationship to reality. They hardly qualify as serious
political commentary. In the current climate I guess one can feel perfectly
untroubled by "Assassins of Allah" if one keeps that in mind. But I can't
really accept that such a whimsical song has anything useful to say about
current events, however eerie the sudden topicality.

BTW, nice to see you back <>

NM