OFF: relevance & irrelevance (was HW: Swindon)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Nov 5 15:51:58 EST 2001

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 18:19:26 -0000, Ian Abrahams
<ian at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:
>Dave's comment was that Bob Calvert had written the song over 20 years ago
>about dollars & oil and it's still going on today (that's the jist of it).
>Actually, that doesn't make it relevant, does it?

No more or less relevant than it has been for the last 30 years (i.e. since
before it was written!).  Especially since there is a living successor to
Hassan i Sahba, and he DOESN'T live in Afghanistan.  Heck, it'll probably
be just as relevant 20 years after Hawkwind are gone, unless the oil runs
out ...

Now, for a song that IS truly relevant, I saw Sonic Boom (ex-Spacemen 3)
and Spectrum last night, doing the psychedelic song thing (as opposed to
the avant-garde electronics thing he does as E.A.R.), and they closed their
set, as usual, with "Revolution" (the song that I thought was a cover
of "You Shouldn't Do That" when I first heard it on the radio ... until the
vocals came in ... turns out it's an MC5 lift, not a Hawkwind one), which
led into a cover of ... "War Sucks" by Red Crayola (extra-appropriate since
he opened the set with "Transparent Radiation").  Of course, I suppose that
one isn't necessarily any more or less true now than it has ever been ...
just a bit closer to home.

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 08:17:30 -0600, mike c <deltawave at METRONET.COM> wrote:
> <<Best game of the night seemed to be trying to smoke your pot
>  before getting noticed by the Ushers & Usherettes, hense many
>  people kept bobbing up and down all night under their seat..
>  well funny>> Iain.
>
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
>it's really bad in the states now- everybody's chicken-(the masses)
>we're not in Kansas anymore (the 70's).....what happened? are people
>too stingy? or is it politically "incorrect" to make yuppies inhale
>smoke that makes them sneeze, develop itchy hives, want munchies,
>feel sleepy, possibly giggle out loud, etc???

You should've been at the aforementioned Sonic Boom/Spectrum show last
night!  No chickens in that audience!  (But this is San Francisco,
politically out-of-touch with the rest of the USA.)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com