HW: Swindon

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 5 20:14:31 EST 2001

In message <200111060051.TAA21242 at listserv.spc.edu>, Doug Pearson
<jasret at MINDSPRING.COM> writes

>>IMO that's a fairly weak version.
>
>There's also a near-identical version of "Hassah i Sahba" on 'California
>Brainstorm' (basically the same set as 'Live in Space 1990', but slightly
>different tracklist).  Of COURSE you'd expect me to point that out ...
>
>>My favourites are Reading 86 and the 1977 live one on Weird 5.
>
>Even better than the '77 version on Weird 5 is the '78 version on the 'Live
>at the Bottom Line' LP (IMO).  It had replaced "Reefer Madness" as the set
>opener by then, and it starts with a great spacy synth/violin intro before
>breaking into a blistering version of the song.

Hmm.. there are clearly a lot more versions than I realised, I should have
been more circumspect in my wording! However of the ones mentioned that
I *have* heard, the 80s versions don't quite do it for me because- well, no
Simon House. And the one on Weird 5- I dunno, it might be great, but
that's a fairly poor recording, you can actually hear the tape flutter during
the violin intro, and it always puts me off.

I rather like the way they've incorporated "Palestine" into the middle
section, and I particularly like Jez Huggett's contribution, so I'm sticking
with my original nomination of the Yule Ritual version.. for now..
--
Nick Medford