OFF: new groups

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Nov 7 15:09:37 EST 2001

>   With all this talk about Tortoise and Mogwai, I was wondering if
>anyone has heard of any of these bands?
>
>Burnt Noodle

Northern California band...long-winded psychedelic jams.  The last one on
the CD I have (their only one?) is 25 minutes long or so IIRC.  They
appeared on my latest 2CD compilation.

>Pharaoh Overlord

Circle (Finland) spinoff - perhaps even more repetitive & hypnotic &
hard-driving than Circle itself.  The average person on the street would
think this the most boring music ever.  I think it's fabulous.

>Magic Carpathians

Atman (Poland) spinoff - very 'world' music folk/psychedelia, with the
typical tablas, didgeridoos, violins, rosin-wheel droney things, (female)
vocal chanting...Saddar Bazaar sort of thing.  Pleasant.

>Ole Lukkoye

Russian/Baltic? band of similar ilk, but more rock IIRC.  Haven't listened
to them for awhile - they didn't seem quite as good as I expected from
reports, but again I need to pull that one out again.

>Skye Klad

Excellent Minneapolis band that played a very nice set at Strange Daze 2000.
Twin guitarists, one who is 'technical' and flamboyant, the other who is
textural and psychedelic (ebow and wah) - nice mixture.  Good vocalist (who
looks like Billy Corgan) that can do Damo Suzuki-style whispered ranting as
well as 'normal' singing.  Their debut CD (essentially - there was a CDR
thing that came out several years back that three of us outside MN have)
just came out not too long ago - I recommend it.  Salamander, the band
featuring the 'drone guitarist' from Skye Klad, is also an amazing band
(more eastern flavors, as well as some prime blanga) and appeared also on my
2CD compilation. Other spinoffs include Vortex Navigation Company and Gentle
Tasaday....more eastern droney-psych stuff there too.   There's reviews of
all this stuff over at www.aural-innovations.com, and probably of all the
other bands above too.  Not sure about the other names - not familiar to me.

Grakkl (FAA)