[Hawkwind] Re: Dave Brocks Memos And Demos

mark von bargen mark.von-bargen at GENIE.CO.UK
Thu Nov 8 17:34:47 EST 2001

ok:

set list for leeds

lighthouse
levitation
spiral galaxy
moonglum
brainbox pollution
wind of change
angels of death (outro'd by dave as 'angels of life')
the watcher
motorway city
hurry on sundown
hassahn i sabbha (including space is their... break)
encore:         assault & battery
                    golden void
                    ejection

my comments:
dave's vocals definitely the strongest tonight - ali's voice certainly sounds shot!! Huw was fine on the rockier numbers but struggled during his quieter, acoustic numbers in the opening set.
spiral galaxy was an excellent surprise for me.
moonglum was a highlight - awesome version of one of the best 80's songs.
angels of death was very heavy good interplay between guitar and violin but i thought it lacked Jez Hugget from the Yule Ritual version
the watcher - sounded like it had been imported from ali's ace of spades set (ie more like the motorhead version with a few space rock trimmings)
hurry on sundown - great to hear it live: it started by reminding me of the magic mushroom band cover version but then got heavier quickly.
well impressed by simon house - good mix of violin and keyboards
dave was well enjoying himself
huw was spot on - was well impressed with his opening solo spot and I have never heard him so at ease with the audience
ali was holding it all together in the middle - no keyboards or synth
richard was giving it everything he could, on occassions it sounded like he was going to drum the life out of his kit.

I just thought that there was something else missing. In some ways it was TOO together. It needed something like Keith's synths, Jez's sax or a ron tree to do something totally unpredictable.
must also mention jeni's dancing as I promised her i would and she was too excellent to ignore.
well worth the trip over from liverpool.

Got memos & demos while i was there and I gotta say its well worth getting. the numbers that have already been released elsewhere are different enough.

memos & demos tracklist

clouded vision
state of mind (instr)
state of mind (vocal)