HW: Domain Names - Short Sharp Shock

Fri Nov 9 07:27:53 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:05:55PM -0700, dhuggins typed out:
> I am rather fond of many of the ex-hawks for various reasons.  But pure and
> simple, Dave has stuck to it through all the years of good and bad.  Being
> the one to carry the weight of responsibility is a FAR harder task than
> coming and going as you please (granted that this occasionally entailed
> chaos reigning supreme).  In my book Meister Brock and the current lineup
> has earned the right to do what ever they damn well please with respect to
> any Hawkwind name, being fully entitled to it.

        Dave has the right to the name, certainly, which anyone who's
raising moralities need to remember...

> I might remind all that three other members of the current lineup
> (chadwick, davey, and langton) have more time in the band than any ex-Hawk
> with the exception of harvey bainbridge.  (mr. house, another current
> member, is definitely in the running, but i have a hard time trying to
> figure out what his precise status has been since 89 on a year-by-year basis.)
>
> Granted that i don't have all my hw family tree charts out, so i will
> surely be corrected if  wrong ;)

        Well, I think you have the top four all right :-) I make it
something quite like this. including guests as well as members because I
can't be bothered trying to draw a line:

1. Dave Brock, 31 years or so
2. Alan Davey, 15 years
3. Richard Chadwick, 12 years
Joint 4th Huw Lloyd Langton and Harvey Bainbridge with about 11 years
each, Huw is obviously rapidly going to force Harvey into 5th here
6th Nik Turner, 10 years or thereabouts
7th Simon King, 8 years
8th Simon House, 7 years and climbing
9th Ron Tree, 6 years and a bit (surprised he's so high, but then, so
were the band often... )
10th Robert Calvert, a little under 6 years
Joint 11th Ian `Lemmy' Kilmister & Martin Griffin, about 5 years each
Joint 13th Richard `Dik Mik' Davies & Del Dettmar, about 4 years each
Joint 15th Terry Ollis, Bridget Wishart, Crum, Captain Rizz, all about 2
years
19th Michael Moorcock, close to two years
Joint 20th Paul Rudolph & Tim Blake, a bit over a year
Joint 22nd John Harrison, Dave Anderson, Alan Powell, Adrian Shaw, Steve
Swindells, Ginger Baker, Clive Deamer with about a year each
Joint 29th Mick Slattery, Paul Hayles, Keith Hale, Frederick `Ded Fred'
Reeves, Keith Kniveton all with something under a year (observe that
Keith K. will shortly be jumping a fair few places)
Joint 34th Thomas Crimble, Andy Anderson, Mick Kirton, Steve Bemand, Steve
Hayes, Rick Martinez, Mick Clark, Jonathan `Mr Dibs' Derbyshire-Hulme,
Dave Charles, all with a few months (cumulatively) only
43rd Paul Cobbold, part of one album's sessions
44th Samantha Fox, one single's sessions
45th Jeremy Huggett, five or six gigs
46th Viv Prince, a few gigs only
47th `Twink' (of Kharma Kannix etc.), three gigs
Joint 48th John `Twink' Alder ("I was in Hawkwind you know... ") & Al
Matthews, 2 gigs each
Joint 50th Robert Heaton, Jenny Chapman, Rory Cargill, one gig each
54th and last, Arthur Brown with one song of one gig

        So there you have it. There are lots of other ways to calculate
this but most of them (writing credits, number of albums, whatever) will
show that Dave is the man, though writing credits will drop Nik and Lemmy
through the floor compared to some, even Ron again. It's interesting how
many legendary Hawk-figures (Alan Powell struck me) are so low compared to
later upstarts who just weren't as busy or as prominent, having got in
after it because of it being by then Dave's band and everyone else of
lesser importance. Notice also how little is between the lower end: if
Keith K. can play with Hawkwind another year he'll be at 15th if not
higher. The aspect of HW as Dave's band has got to be a problem for Nik
or any of the others who are prouder of being in Hawkwind than what
they've done afterwards, and he's many times said he could put together a
band with more people in it who've been in Hawkwind than actually
are. That proves nothing of course, but I think what this does show is
that he'd have a hard time putting together a band who've spent more
_time_ being Hawkwind than the current Hawkwind have.

        Some musings, anyway, yours,
                                     Jon (whose figures are only vague and
once you get down to a year/few months, probably horribly unjust to
drummers and so on)