OFF: America's best space rock

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Nov 9 14:45:18 EST 2001

>Recently, Keith Henderson compiled a sampler of American space rock.  (Thank
>you Keith!) I now am reporting back as was the homework assignment.
>
>The groups that interested me enough to hear more of are:
>
>Walk on Water (psychedelic pop)
>Sky Cries Mary (hint of Eastern flavor)
>F/i (HW-ish, munching/crunching with synth swirls)
>The Phoebe Cates (floating/drifting on cosmic currents)

A brief note...The Phoebe Cates may now be defunct...the core members though
have since formed the Volta Sound (?), and who I believe have just opened
(or will very shortly) for Sonic Boom's Spectrum at the Beachland Ballroom
in Cleveland, the recent site of Strange Daze 2001.

http://www.davenportrecords.com will find you more info about Volta Sound
(whom I've not heard) and certainly about Phoebe Cates (the band, not the
actress-wife of Kevin Kline).

Grakkl (FAA)