HW: Late night in Birmingham

Roger Elmer roger at RELMER.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Nov 9 17:18:10 EST 2001

Great gig last night - some thoughts.......the Sanctuary was a good size venue, sound was great I thought.  The support
Zion Train were good (high praise coming from someone who doesn't like reggae music) but kept thinking
"God, when are they going to finish?!".  10:30pm came and went and still they carried on.  HW weren't on stage
til 11pm!   Luckily met a friend there who gave us a lift since we missed the last train,
but one of our friends had to leave after HW's first number.

That aside, an excellent gig ....set same as Leeds but without AAB/GV.  HW on top form as folks have mentioned, all enjoying themselves.  Dave very chatty and jovial.   Agree with John Majka - Dave's voice (& playing) is great......Simon H just superb - the violin searing through many jams, swooping into the Hassan intro....Brainbox pollution & Levitation amazing jamming. Each number revitalised with
new directions....

Agree with previous mails about Huw, he was on top form esp. in conjunction w Simon H.....Hawkestra must have been an off day.

'Watcher' was very pumped-up with driving bassline a la "Let there Be More Light" - also an extra verse?  "Where we come
from noone smiles, ....???? inches ....??? miles"?  Or is this an already well-known bit of hawklore?

Agree on giving Hassan a rest (also Ejection)......would love to hear Right Stuff (as always!  Dave singing), PXR5, Uncle Sam, Paradox, Fable of Failed Race, Lord of Light (yeah OK ANY Space Ritual stuff).

What happened to the dancers?  No room I guess.